End insecurity or face demos, Bungoma residents tell Matiang’i

Bungoma residents have given Interior CS Fred Matiang'i seven days to address escalating insecurity in the county.

Many attacks have taken place there since last year but investigations have not uncovered the motives.

On Friday night, three people were shot dead at Korng'otuny area of Cheptais sub-county. Investigations were launched.

Residents led by politicians John Cheptai and Moses Ndiema said they will hold demonstrations and prayers on January 19 if the government does not take action.

"We want Matiang'i to visit as soon as possible to get first hand information as the situation is worsening," said resident John Cheptai.

Cheptai said many illegal firearms are in the hands of criminals in the area.

Bungoma county commissioner Joshua Chepcheng claimed the attacks are by former members of the Sabaot Land Defence Force. He said they were jailed 10 years ago but were released.

But Mt Elgon MP Fred Kapondi said the crimes were by regular criminals. He asked police to "up their game" in terms of patrols and response to insecurity calls.

Click here for the latest political news

Original Article

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *